Thursday, July 19, 2012

New Beginnings


As I write this, I am at my training in Michigan, and it just hit me that, in a week, I will be staring at this screen from the other side of the world.  As I have shared before, this realization brings with it a whole range of emotions.  But, as I think back to where my heart was just 6 months ago prior to traveling to Kenya in January, I am struck by the fact that fear is no longer one of the many emotions making its home in my heart.  I realize that I am no longer that scared little girl, terrified to spend the night anywhere, wanting to do anything and everything to hide behind others so that I would not have to step out in boldness.  And that realization brings an overwhelming thankfulness to the God who has freed me from these things, and so many more.

Even as I sit here, I don’t know why God chose me, the most unlikely of them all.  When being called to go back to Kenya more long term, my first reaction was to cry out to God, “Surely you must not mean me. Choose someone else, someone stronger and braver”.  But, in His loving and gentle ways, He slowly illuminated the writing that I realized had been written on my heart for quite some time.  The love and passion I have for Africa was given to me BY Him and FOR Him and He already has such wonderful plans to fill in each and every one of my cracks, for His glory.   And with that realization, my heart has come alive in a way that I have never experienced before. 

I want nothing more than to waste my life on Him, for Him.  I know, as I stare at the mountain before me, that this journey will be difficult, heartbreaking at times.  I also know that He never said it would be easy but, in our faithfulness to Him, our cups will be overflowing.  And with little in my hands as I set forth to leave, it is His grace that fills me with joy.  His grace that allows me to trust, one step at a time, that His plans are good, even in the midst of the inevitable sorrow and suffering that I will face.  And that is all that I could ever ask for.  As I prepare to leave for Kenya next week, please continue to pray for the ministry as a whole, direction as to what my specific role will be with the children, and for God to be preparing the hearts of the people that I will have the blessing of serving. 

I love you and thank you all for your support!


1 comment: